Language Translator

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Aussie Mail


Australian Customs, Quarantine, and Inspection Services check all packages entering and exiting Australia.


So, before mailing a package to Sydney, first, check with the International Mail Centres of New South Wales or the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources to be sure the item you're mailing is not a biosecurity risk.  


Be sure to complete the correct customs form for your box's size and weight.


And make sure your shipping address is valid.


I ordered piano books a while back.


The shipping country on my package was Australia, but my credit card's billing address was America.


Somehow both countries ended up on the mailing address - Australia US, and I never received the books.  

 

Pay the correct international shipping costs for your box's size and weight, and DECLARE all the contents in your package or prepare to pay a fine.





Australia is a biologically diverse country. 


It has a unique ecosystem created by various plants and animals found only in the country. 


Food, plant, or animal products from other countries can potentially introduce new pests and diseases into the environment. 


Because of this, packages are subject to strict import regulations.


I mailed several bags of brightly colored potpourri to my daughter as a Christmas present (pressie) to Australia a few years ago. 


It was held up in quarantine for six months before being delivered.


Potpourri is a dried plant material with added scents and dyes. 



Before Aussie grocery stores sold Old Bay seafood and poultry seasoning, I mailed two large cans to Sydney, which customs threw out!


I received a friendly letter from the Australian Post apologizing, but no refund.


Bay leaves, used to make Old Bay seasoning is a plant product.





Customs is not only just concerned about what's coming into the country, but what goes out.  


My daughter sent me a dried flower arrangement from Sydney for a Christmas gift.  


They didn't arrive until two months after the holiday because customs had to fumigate them before they were permitted to leave the country.

Customs will ask permission to fumigate suspicious packages or return them to the sender.

As a government agency, they take no responsibility for any damages.

 

And besides, fumigation can cost up to $65.00 or more.

My daughter paid for the fumigation, and to my surprise, it didn't damage my flowers.



It's really fun to see post office mailboxes throughout Sydney neighborhoods. 


The domestic cost to mail a letter in Australia is $1.00, and there is no Saturday delivery.


No one has to walk far to post a letter.


I don't use mailboxes because my packages are usually international, but they are convenient if I need them.


Mail from the US arrives within two weeks, and packages not held up in customs take three to four. 




Mail carriers in Sydney are colloquially called posties. 


I get a kick out of seeing friendly posties drive up on scooters to deliver the mail. 


Posties are well-trained scooter drivers and can maneuver them on wet roads, footpaths, and roundabouts, which I'm still trying to figure out.


They wear bright colors, a helmet, neck protector, and gloves for protection.

 

While on scooters, their primary dangers are magpies, birds that swoop, and dogs that love to chase.




My co-mother-in-law dropped by one day with her Labradoodle, Hairy. 


He is well-trained, gentle, and non-aggressive. 


However, he couldn't resist chasing the postie down the road. 


It took our regular postie quite some time before stopping again for a friendly chat. 



Fumigating mail . . . 



Neighborhood mailboxes  . . . 



Posties on scooters . . . 



I am NOT in Kansas!




3 comments:

  1. Testing. Trying to leave a comment. This is terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sustah T, Your comment is coming through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. I didn't know this! Sent a package to Australia and it arrived with no problems. It was plush animals and books! Maybe it was x-rayed!

    ReplyDelete