Language Translator

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Leeches

There are over 100 species of leeches in Sydney.  Not all of them are bloodsucking, but the ones around our house are. 


They're carnivorous segmented worms with powerful suckers at each of their ends.  


The rear one helps the leech move around, and the front is for holding on to feed after latching onto a host. 


My grandson, Jethro, had just gotten a new floaty for the backyard pool.  


He hopped in it with his arms hanging out when he noticed the leech reaching for his warm body. 


Luckily, he saw it headed toward him and got out of the floaty before the leech reached him.



Australian leech.


Jethro's new floaty.

A leeches' size and shape will vary from 7 mm (0.27 inches) to 300 mm (11.8 inches).


They dwell near bodies of water, but because of suburban sprawl, warm weather, and hard rains, they are in Sydney's gardens, decks, and homes like mine.


These parasites have a simple technique when looking for food.  


They slither, wave, and stretch their bodies until they connect with something warm-blooded.


Just watching them makes me shiver!





After connecting with a host and latching on, it releases mucus, saliva, and an anticoagulant enzyme that allows blood to flow for a long time without clotting. 


The antiseptic in the saliva eases the pain at the bite site.  


Their receptors can detect a blood meal by smell, sight, temperature, and vibration. 


They can also sense carbon dioxide, so don't move or exhale! 


My first experience with a leech was when I sat on a low step on my deck floor and touched it with my fingertip.


When I noticed it, I thought it was a worm, but it was hanging on - not a worm characteristic. 


I tried shaking it off, but that didn't work, so I quickly rubbed my finger against a nearby table until it dropped off. 


I didn't know at the time, but there is a proper way to remove a leech.


Pulling off a leech could cause it to vomit blood into the wound, which could lead to an infection, so it's better to let it drink its fill and fall off on its own.



Leeches must have blood to grow and reproduce. The small one I smashed against the deck was all blood. 



Blood splatter from a leech I smashed!


A leech surprised me in my kitchen while washing dishes - I didn't see it lying in the silverware drawer.


They are sneaky, but so am I. 


Salt causes these bloodsuckers to lose moisture and disintegrate!  


So, I poured some on it while it moved among the forks. 


It dried up instantly. 


However, only salt a leech if it is on a surface, not your skin!



Luckily, these parasites don't drop down on people, nor do they bury themselves into the skin or leave pieces of them (like their head) in a bite site.


Coincidently while writing this post, it was raining, and my daughter spotted one coming up through the floorboards carrying a ball of dust.  


I think the itsy bitsy spider song playing in the background is kind of appropriate.





My co-mother-in-law found a leech slithering around on her carpet.  


As a result, I don't walk barefoot indoors or outside in Sydney.



Leech on a carpet.

We noticed a leech on a shirt, trying to get under it to feed. 


Fortunately, we could grab the shirt and use the leech for a photoshoot before it used us as a meal.




There is no evidence suggesting they transmit any diseases, but there will be blood and itching if bitten.  



Leech bite.

Leech bite.

Allergies to bites have been reported and treated with an antihistamine and Epipen.


I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any allergic reactions, even after coming into contact with several leeches. 






Although creepy, they aren't harmful or dangerous. 


And yes, they're gross but essential. 


Being both predator and prey, they help the river and bush ecosystem stay in balance. 


Medically, the enzymes they release can relieve patients during surgery by reducing swelling and stopping clotting when needed during a surgical procedure.


For this reason, medicinal leeches, found in Europe and Western Asia, are protected insects, but all of the rest are fair game!  


So please, pass the salt!



Leeches in the garden . . .


Leeches on my deck . . .


Leeches inside the house . . .


I am NOT in Kansas!





6 comments:

  1. Eeeeeuuuuuuu! Leeches! They get in the house! How can you sleep at night? Keep that salt shaker next to the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least that last one was trying to help with the housekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries about them coming into the house. There is an anesthetic in their mucus that dulls the pain. Welcome to Australia! Now, if we can only train them to vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you sleep at night???? Dust mites are bad enough and you can't see them. Leeches in your ear or nose....there's no place like home..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that bad... I've been here almost a year and those are the only ones I've seen. It just looks bad rolling them all in one post. They do come in the house bur rarely. I sleep good, no worries.

      Delete
  5. Love the ant story - grossed out by this one. Keep seeing the scene from The African Queen where Humphrey Bogart gets covered with leeches and Katharine Hepburn has to help pull them off.....G R O S S is an understatement. xoxo

    ReplyDelete